Linggo, Pebrero 9, 2014

FROM OUR BRETHREN... A CHRISTIAN DENOMINATION THAT IS IN UNION WITH US IN OPPOSING THE FALLACIES OF THE RH/RP "LAW" AND THE OTHER DEATH BILLS: “Striving Together to Revive God’s Work”


“Striving Together to Revive God’s Work”

February 9, 2014
The 5th Sunday of the Christian Season of Epiphany

Habakkuk 3: 2 - 6; 17 – 19/Psalm 27: 1-5/1 Corinthians 2: 1 – 11/Matthew 5: 13 – 20

His Excellency
The Most Reverend Ariel Cornelio P. Santos D.D.

Auxiliary Bishop and Locum Tenens
of the 
Archdiocese of Manila
the 
National Church in the Philippines 
and the 
Territorial Church of Asia

International Communion of the Charismatic Episcopal Church


In the Fifth Sunday of Epiphany, the Season challenges us to manifest the Christ in us.  As Christ is in us, we are to manifest Him to the world following what He did when He was still an infant where He revealed Himself to the world.  This is our calling.  We must understand Christ is in us. Don't listen to anything negative that says, “Is it indeed Christ in you?  Did you remember what you did last week, yesterday or on your way to Church?”  Christ is in you, by grace!  It doesn’t depend whether you are good or bad; He chose to be in you.  We can shun Him and quell Him or quench Him, but our calling is to understand that He has chosen to abide in us.  As our response, we recognize that and we let it be shown.
Christ is the light of the world.  In the gospel, He says, "You are the salt of the earth; you are the light of the world.”  It is by virtue of Christ who is the Light of the world being in us.  We are not to be arrogant to say, “I am the light of the world.”  The reason we are the light of the world is because Christ is in us.  This is how we can be the light of the world.  We are commanded to let that light shine.
Christ said first, “You are the salt of the earth.”   Salt preserves from corruption, from perishability and from death. Salt is a seasoning.  It enhances flavor.  Saltiness is a figure for life and the meaning to it.  We have been given this life, this saltiness so we can be a seasoning and an enhancer to life.  Otherwise, the light of the world would be tasteless, dead, and would not have meaning to it.  God has given to us the saltiness to enhance the dead life that needs to be given life.   It is an active compound not passive. 
Jesus said, “As salt has become tasteless or loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again?”   We must not lose that saltiness because Christ is in us.  The very salt, the very light of God is in us.  If we have become tasteless and have lost our saltiness, then, we are no longer good for anything and we are trampled underfoot by men. This is the exact opposite of our calling.  We are to be in dominion.  We are to be the head, not the tail.  We are to be active, not passive.  We are to rule, not to be trampled underfoot by men, but to be in dominion and not in a yoke of bondage.  We are to walk on water, not drown, and not to be under circumstances. 
When Christ ascended on high, He took us with Him and seated us at the right hand of God the Father far above all rule, authority, and dominion.   We must understand this.  It is by grace and by God’s doing through the work of Christ.
The world salvation in Biblical context also means preservation.  We preserve as the salt.  We are not the savior; we are instruments of the Savior in preserving and in spreading salvation and preaching the good news of salvation.  We have an active role for the life of the world. All of creation looks to us.  Romans says that all of creation longs for the revelation of the sons of God
because we are the steward that God entrusted the world with.   In the movie, “Lion King,” all the animal kingdom looked to the lion king not because he is god but because he is the leader.  All of creation looks to us because man has been crowned by God with leadership.  He doesn’t act independently of God, he acts because He was commissioned, blessed, and empowered by God. The very breath of God was breathed into Him – no one else.
What privilege, honor and exalted position God has given to man.  We are this channel of life.  God's life, His saltiness, passes through us to the entire world to all of creation.  The saltiness was given by God.  Every Easter vigil, we light the candle.  Where does the fire come from?  It is from the Christ's candle.  All of our light comes from the Christ’s candle.  The instruction given to us is to take our light figuratively from the Church which we received from Christ and we take that to the world.  This is exactly our mission.  We are the salt and the light of the world. 
Jesus said in one instance in John 8, "I am the light of the world."  In chapter nine, He said, “While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”   Now, He says to us, “You are the light of the world.”  We light our candle so that we can be a light to the world.  Jesus said, “While I am in the world…”  Where is Jesus now?  Physically, He is at the right hand of the Father.  Symbolically, He is in us.  The reason He is in us is so that we can be the light of the world because He gave us His light.
There is one song a decade ago that expresses a feeling and an emotion which we can understand.  It prays to God to, “Take me out of the dark, my Lord.”  We don’t want to be in darkness.  While we understand the feeling, more importantly, we understand the mission.  In the first place, why were we given light and made to be light?  Do you at noon turn the light in your house?   When do you turn on your light?  It is at night when it is dark and where it is dark. Have you ever heard your ceiling or lamp light complain to you, “Take me out of here. It is too dark to let my light shine.”   If they did that, what would we tell them?  “It is exactly why I need you here because it is dark.  Otherwise I can’t read my pocketbook or see what I am doing. 
Where darkness is, there is where light is needed.  It is a calling.  In the gospel where Jesus was starting His ministry, Matthew quoted the Old Testament and said, “The land of Zebulun and the land of Napthali are a people sitting in darkness and they saw a great light.”  The people were sitting in darkness and in the shadow of death and a light dawned upon them.   Jesus’ prayer was not, “Take me out of the dark, I don’t want to be there.”  He could have told the Father, “Let Me just stay here.  This is cloud nine.  Why do I have to go down there? It is dark.” The Father said, “It is exactly why you have to go down there because the people are sitting in darkness and in the shadow of death.”
The earth was formless and void; it was a wasteland. There was emptiness.  There was a very great need.  In the beginning, God spoke and said, "Let there be light."  Light when there was darkness and where it was dark. The earth was formless and void that darkness was over the surface of the waters of the earth.  There was emptiness; formlessness; waste; need.
At the Garden of Gethsemane where Jesus struggled about facing death, He said, “Now, My soul is troubled because I am facing opposition, the cruelty in the hands of man, the very people I created. What do I say, “Father, deliver Me from this hour?  But it is precisely for this hour and purpose that I was sent.  It is because there is darkness.”  He did not ignore the trouble of His soul.  What overwhelmed Him was the very reason that He was sent – not necessarily for His comfort but to fill a need.  “There is darkness. I am light and I am going where darkness is.”
Jesus said, “Take Me out of the dark.”  He said, “For this hour, I was sent and so rather than take Me out of the dark, Father, glorify Your Name through letting My light shine in this darkness.  Is it trouble?  Yes, it is for Me but more for them and they need Me. I go because I understand My mission. I understand the need.” 
Jesus commands, “Let your light shine.”  My question is:  where else?  Is it where there is brightness?  What did Jesus say on the Mount of Transfiguration where Peter wanted to stay where the bright light was?  Peter said, “Let us hang out here. Why don’t we build a tabernacle for You.  Let us stay here for a while.”  Peter went down from the Mountain, taking the light with them. 
Light is not needed where there is light and bright. We have been commissioned not for what we can get, but for what we can give.  Christ is in us.  Christ the light of the world, the life of the world.  He is what we can give to those in need of Him.  The wisdom of the world will tell you, “I give as little as I can so I can get as much as I can.”  Very little investment for the maximum profit.   This is not what Christianity is.
Habakkuk said, "Even though the fig tree does not blossom, even there is no cattle in the stalls, even though the vine fails, even though there is no harvest in the field, yet I will exalt the Lord and I will please Him and rejoice in Him.”   Why are we Christians?  For what is in it for us or for service?  Why are you in Church?  Why are you serving in Ministry?  For what you can get or for what you can give?  If it is for what we can get, then we are hirelings.  If we are after the pay, then we are hirelings and we are Pharisees.  Jesus said, “You are to surpass the righteousness of the Pharisees.  The Pharisees love greetings in the market place and people bowing to them and giving them the best seats.  They have their reward in full.  They will get no other reward. You gloat in the greeting of the people and that is all that you can get.”  This is not us.  Jesus said, “We are to surpass that.  We are to be better than that.” 
When I was five or six years old, I was in my parent’s room jumping on their bed while they were preparing to go somewhere.  They asked me, “What do you want to be when you are grown up?”  I answered them with a question, “Well, what pays the most?”  Both said, “No, that is not the basis of your career or vocation.  You give not for what you can get.  Where you are needed, that is where you should be.”   We are not to be like the world.  The wisdom of the world is to take advantage of the people.  One would say, “What is in it for me? I will preach in your church but I fly First Class. I only stay in Five-Star hotels and this is my fee.”  Before even asking, “What is the need in your church?  What is your direction?  How can I be of help?  How can I minister to them?”  It is not what pays the most but what one can give. Our attitude should be that even if there is nothing, we are to serve.
The three Hebrew children followed God and would not bow before the statue of Nebuchadnezzar and they were placed in a fiery furnace.  Before they were thrown in the fire, they said, “God will deliver us. Just in case He doesn’t, we still will follow Him.  We will obey His commands.  We will not bow before a statue because we only bow before God even if there is nothing waiting for us. We will follow.  We obey only God.”
There is a very popular TV evangelist who was asked a question and his answer was very controversial.  A husband who had a wife with Alzheimer’s disease asked this evangelist, “Is it okay that I divorce my wife because she is not the same person I married.  I don’t know her. The person that I used to know is who I decided to marry.  Now, this person that I am married to, I don’t know her and she doesn’t know me.”  The answer given to him by the evangelist was, “It is okay.  You do not sin if you divorce her.” 
To me, my question is:  did you get married for what you can get out of this person that you said you know before?  She had a weakness; now, she is in need and she needs you.  Are you in the marriage for what you can get?  Maybe you are saying, “I can’t get anything from her anymore.”  Understand this:  her need is you, right now.  She is in a very big need. Do you drop her?  Do you abandon her? 
One Christian, two weeks after getting married realized one thing and said, “I realized that marriage is not for me.” What he meant was, "It is for your spouse. It is about what you can give to them not what is in it for me.”  Marriage is for one giving.  Ephesians 5 said, “Jesus gave Himself up for the Church to whom He is married.”    This is what it is all about! It is what you give, not what you get.  Even though the fig tree does not blossom, even though you don’t get a reward for service, you will serve God. Love, marriage is a decision; a commitment. It is in sickness, in health; for richer, for poorer; till death do us part. Commitment is not based on reward but on what I decide to do from this day forward and forever. It is the giving up of ourselves. 
St. Paul’s dilemma in one of his epistles said, “I understand that I have a short time left upon earth. I so want to be with God for in His presence is fullness of joy.  It is bliss.  It is unexplainable, but I am torn between going and staying for your sake.”  He said, “I am staying. Forget my bliss.  Forget my eternal happiness.  I am staying because you need me.”  It is not the fact that he meets the need that he doesn’t get the joy over that.  He does, but he was selfless and he thought of the people who need him rather than his own sake.
 One American President made a popular statement:  ask not what your country can do for you, but ask what you can do for your country.  Ask not what your church can do for you; ask what you can do for your church.  Ask what you can do for the world. Ask what you can do for your nation.   Don’t look to government.  We should be wiser now than the government.  Ask what we can do for our nation despite conflicts.   If you go to a job interview, you don’t dare ask, “How much are you going to pay me?” In fact, you are not the interviewer. It is the interviewer who asks the question and one of the questions is, “What can you do for our company? Why would we hire you? 
What can we do as salt, light and life?  A fireman doesn’t say, “It is too hot in there. I am not going in there.”  He has the hose; the water that can kill the fire.  Does he ask, “Why do I have to go there?”  He has the water and if he doesn’t want to go there, he doesn’t have to be a fireman.  Be in the navy where there is water all around.  This is exactly why we are needed – where there is fire, emptiness, darkness, need and no flavor or no meaning to life.
The Psalm said, “Despite the conflicts and oppositions, one thing I ask of the Lord, ‘That also I  shall seek and pursue and be committed to do is that I will dwell in the house of the Lord to serve Him all the days of my life.”  It is a commitment because God is not our “yaya,” our valet, our butler.  God is not our servant but our Master.   We choose to serve Him.  We are supposed to be bondservants, bondslaves.  A bondslave is he who has been freed yet chose to come back and serve his master forever. It is not what he is going to get.  It would be probably be better for him and more promising for him because he has freedom but he chose to serve and submit himself to the master.
We chose to serve God when we could be free because we realize that there is need and we have the answer because God gave us the answer.  Rewards will always be there because God is a God of abundance and He is every blessing us. Don’t worry about the rewards. It is that our attitude should always be like Habakkuk.  He says, “Even if there is nothing for me, yet, I will serve the Lord.”
 That my friends is the way it is in the kingdom of God.

LET US CONTINUE OUR REFLECTION 
WITH
HIS EMINENCE, THE MOST REVEREND LUIS ANTONIO "CHITO" GOKIM TAGLE D.D.

ARCHBISHOP OF MANILA, 
CARDINAL OF HOLY MOTHER CHURCH
AND 
VENERABLE PRIMATE
OF THE PHILIPPINES
THROUGH

THE WORD EXPOSED

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento